Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Somebody hold me to this

Somebody hold me to this:
 

I won't have another conversation about abortion, but I'll talk endlessly about ways to keep all (undeniably living) children safe, fed, and educated.
 

I won't have another conversation about gun rights, but I'll talk all day about how we can improve mental health care so we can cure everyone crazy enough to think they have the right to zap away another life.
 

I won't have another conversation about the 'truth' about God, but I'll talk all night about how to live the way any old God would want us to.
 

This is a little different, but I won't have another conversation about marijuana law reform with anyone who a) drinks or b) has never tried it and is only talking crazy about stoned boogeymen.
 

I won't have another conversation about standardized tests because maybe if we ignore them they'll go away--that's how they teach teachers to deal with problem students, anyhow, ignore them.
 

I won't have another conversation about laws with anyone who believes that people learn from punishment, or who doesn't believe in the power of personal redemption.
 

I won't have another conversation about the social safety net with anyone who thinks a child born into poverty has equal opportunities to someone born middle class or wealthier because it makes me feel too crazy and sad.
 

We only have so much damn airspace to talk about anything! As the oracle said, ain't nobody got time for that.

No comments: